Pages

Monday, December 31, 2012

Spoiled

My Dax loves to sit in his Moby Wrap. Loves it.

He just loves to be close, cuddled, and upright to help with his tummy and reflux issues.

Wen and I take turns wearing him in the Moby while shopping.

Little Dax loves looking around and then falls right to sleep for the rest of the trip.

Ya'll, it is the sweetest thing ever to see my big strong man wearing this Moby Wrap with a tiny little mini-wen attached to him. (Really, he has come so far!) And he does it with a smile on his face. You should really see the stares and sweet smiles he gets!

So we were checking out one day when we got our first negative-ish comment about it.

The cashier mentioned my man with the baby attached to him. I replied that the Moby was baby's favorite place with a big smile.

She told me I should stop wearing it and put that child down because he will spoil.

I could have been rude. I could have explained his medical issues that make him cry in pain a lot. I could have walked away. I could have just stopped talking and not even mentioned his love for close contact.

I simply smiled. I told her he was safe and secure and most surely would not spoil. I knew that because I have 3 other children who were cuddled, cared for, wore in slings, had their needs met and they were so fine and independent. They just learn.

She continued to tell me that her children were spoiled because she cuddled them too much. Ouch.

Was she really sad she had cuddled her children? Or did someone in her life tell her to stop cuddling them? Did she really see her children as spoiled or was someone else whispering in her ear?

I knew better. Her words would never deter me from listening to my heart. However, I feel sad for the next person her words may affect. Words are powerful things, even coming from strangers. New moms are so vulnerable. So ready to do everything just right, just perfect. A unasked for advice can work its way into an unsure mom's ear and do damage.

So moms, listen to your heart. Do not take stranger's words to heart. They do not know your situation. This is not a race. This is not a contest. This is you taking care of your tiny loves who so desperately need you to just be their mommy.

1 comment: