Pages

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

We Love You Leslie

1999
 
Aunt Leslie is what I called her, my mom's close friend from childhood. She was my aunt through and through, not sharing blood made no difference. She was a strong shoulder for my mom when she lost her mom and her marriage in a short period of time. Aunt Leslie helped do my grandmother's hair and makeup in the casket. She helped take care of my sister and me when my mom needed her. No questions. She helped me through some tough times in my teen years and was there for my mom through it all. She could burp the alphabet, ya'll. She was hilarious, gross, full of raunchy comedy, and we just laughed together.

1999
 
I remember how happy she was to be a mommy. She waited until later in life to take on this role and she loves her boys so, so very much. She had her boys right around the time I had my first baby. It was strange having a kid around the same age as my mom's best friend. LOL
 
2003
 
Today I got the text that Leslie was taken to the hospital by ambulance, nonresponsive, and they don't think she will make it. Ouch. My mom is devastated. I'm still processing it. She is the same age as my mom. She has two teen sons, teens who she won't get to see graduate, marry. She will never meet any future grandchildren. She won't be able to share her burping alphabet with anyone again.

2003
 
Leslie's boys, Michael and Ryan, are kissing their mom good-bye, forever. It seems strange as I clean my house and feed my kids that someone else is saying good-bye forever.
 
How can life be this unfair?
 
2004
 
Leslie was there for my cousin's wedding, my wedding, and my sister's wedding reception after my sister got married in Jamaica. It was so special to have her there.

2004
 
How does the world still function, move, go on as she lay in a hospital bed surrounded by crying, devastated loved ones? Would it have been easier if someone had taken her life and we had someone to be mad at for this loss?
 
2009
 
Would it be easier if we had a week's notice to say our good-byes or would drawing it out have been too much? Would it have been easier if her teen sons had not found her themselves?
 
Would anything have made saying good-bye easier?
 
2009
 
Leslie and my mom laughed so much together. I can't imagine how hard this is for my mom. Leslie is the same age as my mom.  You shouldn't have to say good-bye to a friend so young.
 
2009
 
It is a horrible wake-up call to take care of our bodies, take care of our loved ones, call our family and share our love with those who mean the most to us.
 
2010
 
Mom and Leslie had some fun times together. Leslie used to have me clean her house for her and pay me a bit to do it. My mom would drag my sister, brother, and me to Leslie's house to visit. They would say it would be a short visit and we would end up falling asleep waiting for them to wrap it up and say good-bye. She had no kids at the time so there were no toys. We would just lay around waiting for the time to go. I wish I could be laying around bored to tears again listening to them laugh.
 
2010
 
Leslie honestly didn't like her picture being taken. She always made me take the pic off my Facebook page.  Now I wish I would have just let her be mad and told her she was beautiful and she needed her love to shine through the lens.
 
2011
 
Leslie came to all the family functions. Everyone knew she was just like an extension of my mom. That is just the way it was, for years. Oh sure, they had their friendly spats but they loved each other so much and they both knew it. Leslie gave my nephew, Micah, his Arky blanket, the blanket that became his special, has-to-to-everywhere-with-him snuggly.
 
2011
 
I didn't hesitate to invite Leslie out to the bar with me when I was old enough and able to get out. It was fun having some party time with my mom and her friend! Oh the stories they would share. I love hearing things about my mom from her friends. I'm so thankful she let me snap this pic of us together.
 
2011
 
Leslie holding Micah around Christmas 2011. It was a blast to invite Leslie over to family functions. She was able to attend my wedding and be part of birthday parties.
 
2012
 
Leslie holding Dax. I'm positive she came to meet my older 3 when they were first born but I can't find any pics. She was probably hiding from the camera! My girls still have a stuffed animal she gave them as babies. You know what was fun? Letting my mom's friend meet my kids. She helped raise me. She helped my mom through so much as I grew up.
 
Leslie, you are loved.  

No comments:

Post a Comment